[Tfug] Making an install set?

Joe Blais joe.blais at pti-instruments.com
Mon Oct 9 11:37:07 MST 2006

Hello -

Thank you all for the help building a kernel.  What actually worked, was
going back to Fedora 1, which has gcc 3.3.2, and then doing the build on the
kernel code we were supplied.  -- first I thought it wasn't working because
I didn't see screens full of warnings -- the old gcc compiler worked on the
old code - no errors...

Now some new questions.  Now that I have the code compiling on my
development box, how do I update the target box?  They are both i386 type
machines.  How do I make an install set for instruments we build?  I was
looking at the install CD we were given.  It has a boot folder (with an
empty s2 folder, and boot.catalog, boot.img and stage2.img files) an INSTALL
folder ( with instimage.tgz, ram.tgz ximage.tgz) some other folders
including the source that I finally got building.  The target system has
some utilities like vi, but it doesn't have a make or anything, so I feel I
have to develop on another box.

Do I need to somehow turn the linuxz file that was compiled from the source,
into a boot.img file?

I assume I can keep the boot folder on the CD, and what it contains, and
just replace the tar files in the INSTALL folder.

Do I do the final "make install" of the source on the development box,
directing it to some new folders, and then just roll these up as replacement
tar files for the CD?  I looked into the instimage.tgz file and much of it
seemed like the familiar bin, lib, usr folders with utilities, vi,... all
that kind of stuff.  The ram.tzg just had 3 zero sized file names. The
ximage.tgz seems to have everything for the x windows stuff.

-- the next thing -- upgrade.

If the above process works, can I upgrade to newer kernels by starting with
the latest Fedora, with it's source from kernel.org, on my development box,
apply the .config settings from our old system, then build with the newest
gcc ?  What about all the utilities like vi?

Thanks
Joe

ps - as to the religious stuff, I'm glad we have been able to keep religion
out of government (it's not out of politics).  If we did have a religion
based government, then, based on the last flurry of messages, I think we'd
be like the middle east, shooting each other instead of helping each other!

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.