[Tfug] Small Linux Distributions (was Re: Religious crap)

AJHEIN ajh66 at aztecfreenet.org
Sun Oct 8 07:39:10 MST 2006

My vote is for Damn Small, using it right now. Like the Bash setup
better than puppy. Doesn't look like 'doze, like puppy did. You
can enable apt, don't know if puppy can. The 3.1 version has a tiny
compiler (tcc). Like the 3.1 version and before it the 1.2.1. I have
not installed it but run it live. From the menu you have the choice
of lilo or grub installs. The knoppix style cheatcodes at boot have
many low power options. I especially like the "toram" where the entire
50M disk is loaded to a ramdisk and run from there, fast and frees
the cd. You need to have 128M to do that trick. I used it for a long
time on a PII with no probs.

	I don't know about the installs but if you run it live it will
save your home directory and settings on  a thumb or disk partition,
thats how I do it, while my hard drive has the OS's de jour.