[Tfug] Mythtv

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Sat Oct 7 18:43:30 MST 2006

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 02:09:01PM -0500, Tim Ottinger wrote:
>I want to download and rip my current DVDs and use some kind of digital
>jukebox to access the movies from all over my house.  Is MythTV a good way
>to do this, or is there something much simpler (maybe just nfs-sharing
>media)?

While I've not used this part of MythTV myself, it does have a facility for
ripping DVDs and storing them on the HD.  It can rip the whole DVD too,
languages, subtitles, menus, etc.

Myth operates on a backend/frontend setup.  So you can have a backend
someplace with lots of HD space and then have a frontend next to your TV and
just stream stuff over the network.  As you suggested, this is usually
accomplished with NFS sharing, though I think Myth can also stream using its
own protocol.

As for the programming language used in Myth, the whole thing is written in
C++ using the Qt toolkit.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.