[Tfug] Small Linux Distributions (was Re: Religious crap)

Tim Ottinger tottinge at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 21:13:16 MST 2006

What is interesting is how much ram I actually use on XUbuntu box.  I like
to use gmemusage to see what apps are chewing up memory.
I would def. stick with a small window manager (xfce, flux, etc).   I
noticed that Java apps tend to chew up a lot of resources. Lately azureus
(java app), vlc,  and thunderbird also seem to hang a lot after you think
you've exited.  that's neither here nor there except that I see them when I
run gmemusage.

I'm also installing linux on a junk laptop (Inspiron 7000 boat anchor, must
be 3.5" thick) and I guess I'll be looking at some low-footprint distros.
As long as they're debian inside, I guess any of them will do.