[Tfug] vps/Fedora Core 4/Bind 9

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 17:53:05 MST 2006

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for the confusion.  What I was trying to say was I need DNS for Vhosting and MX only.

Apache and FTP already work.  It's just Bind that keeps stopping and I suspected it had something to do with my very basic config. Probably mal-configured.

I'll look at the logs and see if that helps.  Thanks for the pointer.

I'll check which email server I'm running and post it back here.  I have not looked at it for a month or so because I have been so busy.

Thanks for all your help.
Keith

Adrian <choprboy at dakotacom.net> wrote: On Friday 06 October 2006 13:17, keith smith wrote:
> I have a VPS that I was able to get the DNS to work but it keeps stopping.
If I start it, it works fine for a while.

> I was wondering if anyone knows of a simple and I do mean simple online
reference for bind that might help me configure virtual web hosting and email
named server using Bind 9

I guess I don't understand the question. You say your named keeps stopping on
its own, which sounds like a problem... but then you want bind to do virtual
web hosting and email??? It does neither. That's what Apache/Tux and
Sendmail/Postfix/etc. are for.

As for named stopping... I think everyone here would have to see some logs. I
suppose their might be a configuration error but if it works for a while...
Maybe someone knows something special about named in a VPS. Wild guess: could
it be that the VPS crashes/reboots (perhaps the master is running out of
memory and killing off hosted VPSes)? What is the uptime when you log back
in?

For virtual hosting... it is a pretty simple configuration for Apache. Just
enable the virtual hosting by giving it the IP address (which will host
multiple FQDNs) and then an entry for each FQDN'd host website. Something
like:

NameVirtualHost 172.16.1.23:80

  ServerAdmin webmaster at myweb.ccm
  DocumentRoot /var/www/www.myweb.ccm/html/
  ServerName www.myweb.ccm
  ErrorLog logs/www_myweb_ccm

  ServerAdmin webmaster at secondweb.ccm
  DocumentRoot /var/www/www.secondweb.ccm/html/
  ServerName www.secondweb.ccm
  ErrorLog logs/www_secondweb_ccm

As for virtual email... there are a number of different ways depending on how
you want to handle email boxes (i.e. whether all lumped together or separate
for each user at domain). The simplest, lumping all domain users together, is
pretty simple in Postfix, just add the system user and then add the different
"hosted" email domains (separated by commas) to the mydestination= directive
in main.cf. I.e.:

mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, myweb.ccm, secondweb.ccm

Adrian

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options:

Keith Smith