[Tfug] Religious Crap

coldfront at frostwarning.com coldfront at frostwarning.com
Fri Oct 6 11:32:11 MST 2006

On Friday 06 October 2006 08:06, Judd Pickell wrote:

> I still don't get why people ask to be removed from a list when every email
> provides them the means to remove themselves. Just me I guess. I don't
> think you should leave slvrbeard, it isn't like these discussions happens
> regularly here, although admittedly they are going further and further off
> topic now.

Well, I've always felt that online communities work best that way - a
community of people who have an interest in common rather than dry forums
slavishly dedicated to a single subject - which leads to tedium.  I can see
the point of official support channels insisting on topic compliance, but,
well, not every list has to be that.

As for leaving because one prefers not to engage in discussion of "religious
crap."

The radical postmodern surrealist alternative to leaving angrily is to
 observe a thread clearly marked by an unappealing subject, and then, like,
 not read those messages.

But then again, simply not reading stuff you don't want to is a decadent and
philistine practice that I cannot, in the interest of civilization, wholly
recommend.

Instead, I propose following the accepted protocol on web boards with topic
drift (or bad topics) - simply write a very long, time-consuming rant about
how you don't have time for topic drift or articles about stuff you don't
care about.

This is the internet and I will have symmetry and consistency, dammit.

And should anyone choose to storm off, I expect to be informed as to the full
extent of discontent, anger, frustration, and dissatisfaction of the
individual in the process of decampment.

We must have civilization, gentlemen.

  -Quag7