[Tfug] The NET

Stephen Hooper stephen.hooper at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 14:07:31 MST 2006

On 10/5/06, rfs_lists at mac.com <rfs_lists at mac.com> wrote:

> If you don't look beyond these shores, maybe! Try the Magna Carta,
> nearly 800 years old, and the Act of Settlement, a sprightly 305;
> both of which form part of the British constitution. Yup, they're
> supplemented by more recent legislation, but that's the point.
>
> cheers,
> Rich

Thanks for pointing that out.  I was really tempted to, but then
figured I would get into pointing out that social document is not
really specific, and that the examples he gives are dissimilar.

I mean bringing in the Bible, and comparing it to U.S. Constitution:
pretty much a guarantee that anything that does not deal with pure
fiction, but instead with philosophical, societal, or personal
values/conduct, could be considered.

The set of literature that falls into this category is so broad, that
it would be silly to try to enumerate it all.  Most of it that is
widely read/recognizable is also over three-hundred years old.

Maybe the comment was supposed to have persuasive value, but  it had
the opposite effect on me.

Reading the bible is much different than reading the US constitution
:)  The two should not be confused, and though I am atheist, the mere
fact that one is recognized by some as the work of God, makes me
wonder what kind of hubris was attached to elevating the US
constitution to that level (much the same way I would question raising
it the level of the Vedas, or the Koran, or anything else that people
find religious significance in).