[Tfug] The NET

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 19:39:53 MST 2006

What bible is Hammurabi's laws from?

"Bowie J. Poag" <bpoag at comcast.net> wrote:
Actually, it does. Not by torches per se, but by ensuring citizens have
the tools to ensure that a free state is maintained, i.e. the right to
keep and bear arms. Important enough to make it the #2 in the list,
right behind freedom of speech/press/religion/assembly/petition.

I'm not exactly a constitutional scholar, but, I know enough to know the
founding fathers built enough provisions into the design of that
document to ensure that government existed in fear of the people, and
that internal to itself, the government has checks and balances. The day
the balance shifts is when the polar opposite becomes true -- When the
people fear their government, and the inernal checks-and-balances system
breaks.

It really is an elegant document.. You'd be hard pressed to find many
social documents written 230+ years ago that were crafted well enough to
still be socially applicable. The only ones I can think of are in the
Bible.

Read Hammurabi's laws lately? :)

Cheers,
Bowie