[Tfug] Just starting - need help

Joe Blais joe.blais at pti-instruments.com
Mon Oct 2 17:44:08 MST 2006

Well... that's what I thought...

-- do you really want to hear this???

I was supplied the source and a confirg file for the kernel -- a descendent
of Fedora Core 4
The stuff I got with didn't have a compiler.  Locally all I could get
quickly was SuSE
I loaded that onto an old PC, copied the tar file for the source and undid
it.
I read the Readme - did what it said - fournd the config file the
manufacturer supplied
started the make, and after some time it said Error -- mov doesn't use x
many parameters--
mov - an assembler thing - when dit it's syntax change?
so I looked deepeer into the readme, and after it said make sure you have
the latest stuff, it says gcc-2.95.3  -- my gcc is 4.whatever
So I finally downloaded Fedora core 4 (which also has gcc 4)
So I gound gcc-2.95.3 on the web, downloaded that and started to try to
compile that -- more syntax errors -- I skipped the "make suyre you have
latest binutls" and go past the syntax errors, but after about a screen or
two of --linking -- it says something like libcobj folder empty-- and dies
there -- for grins I tried the "make stage1" which was supposed to copy a
bunch of stuff to a stage1 folder and then re-compile with the newly
compiled cc -- but that didn't even start up..

Anyway -- thank you for the Xlib info -- I will be needing that soon (I
hope).  I did build something on Suse with QT, but copying that to the
platform we're using failed.  I copied the QT libs, and got up to "buss
error" --
Because we want a small embedded type of thing, and performance, I was
looking into Xlib, but got a real small feeling when looking at the
documentation on the XFree86 site, way over my head, or I just didn't click
on the right "examples" link.

I was also looking into QT's Qtopia, which is supposed to use the same QT
api, but bypass X and go right to the framebuffer.  But if  i can't get the
kernel to compile, i may not want to go there - at least x is working on the
stuff supplied by the vendor.

we selected pc/104 for cost / size / seemed like the thing to do at the
time.  I could go with a bigger cpu, throw in a hard drive, say heck with
the cost, and hack out a solution in winders xp, but..... for now that's a
fallback.

-- well I hear my compiler -- dcel.c: In function 'start-struct'  error:
argument 'code' doesn't match prototype --

sounds like my code, but this is gnu !

Thanks