[Tfug] Just starting - need help

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 17:10:08 MST 2006

Hi,

--- Joe Blais <joe.blais at pti-instruments.com> wrote:

> I guess that depends on how slow I've gotten ---
> I hope (my boss hopes) not much.

Deadlines have a remarkabe way of speeding up
your performance!  :>

> I need to get the development system going for now.
> I just don't know
> enough about Linux to say how much that will take.
> I need to get to the
> point where I can develop code, compile it, and get

But you haven't said *what* code you plan on
developing
nor the environment in which you plan to develop it.
E.g., are you expecting to just hack your application
into the kernel?  Or, will it run in userland?
Is this a turnkey product?  Or, an application that
runs on a pseudo-desktop?

> it running.  We are also
> putting a touch panel (we have a driver from the
> supplier) on the instrument
> we're building, so I'm sure that may take some doing
> as well.

That will depend a lot on what functionality is
present in the vendor's driver.  I.e. if all it
does is generate touch & release events, then you'll
need to build a layer to map those actions to
"buttons", mouse emulation, etc.  (depending on
what you want your device to do with and in
response to the touchpad).

E.g., I have a slot machine that treats the panel
as a set of buttons (regions) at certain points
in the application (e.g., when the user is
placing a wager) and treats the panel as a
drawing surface at other times (e.g., during
calibration, etc.).

Have you guys prepared a product specification, yet?
Or is this just a dog-and-pony/proof-of-principle
goal?

[feel free to contact me offlist if you aren't keen
on discussing details in an open forum -- or if you
need an NDA executed]

--don