[Tfug] The NET

Stephen Hooper stephen.hooper at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 18:40:10 MST 2006

<aside>

I did not deny that you knew the term double-think.  I just thought
you were using it improperly in your previous email.  Maybe I
misunderstood what you were trying to say, but I read your  sentence
as to imply that those who would argue against such a conspiracy as
being "unenlightened", rather than double-thinking their way out of
the problem.

</aside>

So back to the conspiracy, I do  agree that many different groups have
found machinez subverted in just the ways you claim (key-loggers,
etc.), but I disagree that this would be something easy to do.

In a single case, it is relatively easy to install software.  Across
the swath of the internet it is very difficult.  As somebody else
mentioned, and to extend an analogy: it is easier to tap the trunk for
maple syrup, rather than tapping each individual branch (or leaf) in a
maple tree.

But the ease of this is not simply to do with the technical scale of
the installation.  The ease also has to do with the "discoverability".
 As you mention many different groups have discovered all kinds of spy
ware.  But for this conspiracy to actually work, and for it to be at
all like the movie "The Net", you would basically need undiscoverable
software.

The idea in "The Net" is really quite preposterous.  Why?  It assumes
a select handful of humans are the only ones with the means, and the
method to subvert machines in a way that is undetectable to all except
our plucky heroine, and the guy who crashed in the plane at the
beginning.

So, let's assume that our government is really trying to do this.
They do have very smart people.  Unfortunately, or fortunately, they
don't have a monopoly on smart people.  They also probably posses
technology that is not currently available to the mainstream of
humanity.

So let's pretend, at an outside that they are 100 years more advanced
in computer technology than the rest of humanity.  That is quite
preposterous, but let's pretend.  So, the question then becomes
knowing what we know of technology today could we extrapolate what the
government was doing with their 100 year advanced technology?

 I would argue that you could.  They will not have broken most of  the
same barriers that have existed for the last hundred years:  speed of
light, etc., therefore given all the technology that they would have
available you would still be able to detect some parts of it (e.g.
let's say they have broken the speed of light problem in their
transmission medium, the problem would be that our computers haven't,
and therefore we could recognize the piece that runs on our computer
as something "different", and extrapolate what it is doing).

I would even go as far as to argue that the vast majority of humans
could, just the same way that most humans would recognize a
transportational vehicle as such 100 years in the future.  Evolution
gives up on technology at some point in time as well... and things
become the equivalent of technological sharks:  perfect in their niche
with no reason to adapt.

Then it is time to go back to Occam's razor: you state, "someone is
watching the American population more than is generally acknowledged,
for whatever reason."   Would it not be simpler then to ask, first why
(as I have done), and then how (as I have just done),  and finally
who?

Why assume it is a single entity, rather than a conglomeration of
entities that don't have the power to effectuate the means that
collecting such data would lead them to.  It is easier for me to
believe that the Russian mafia is after my credit card number, and
that McDonald's like to know when I decided to become vegetarian,
rather than believe the government would want to know, or care.

The government is always going to be more concerned with keeping
itself in a position to exercise its monopoly over its citizens.  The
fact that you believe that the government may be willing to spy on you
is valid.  The fact that you believe that the government is willing to
spy on everyone is also valid.

The fact that you are attributing so much power to a single group:
i.e. technological, theoretical, strategic, and tactical, as well as
purpose specific, seems to me to be quite laughable.  I say that
because I have never seen any evidence that our government posseses
some of those qualities, and the fact that I have never seen any
evidence that our government has ever possesed all those qualities at
any single point in time.

So taken together, the why, the how, and the who, just lead to more
questions.  Which is always an enticing ploy with all conspiracies,
but you must always be able to answer them in some coherent manner.

That is why after watching the Simpson's I don't really believe that
Major League baseball has spy satellites, but after watching JFK, or
reading about Pearl Harbor, I do admit that there may be credible
alternate explanations for those events.