[Tfug] 90mm fan

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Tue Nov 28 21:49:31 MST 2006

On Sunday 26 November 2006 22:29, erich wrote:
>     I have a Compaq power supply that's giving out or, more precisely,
> its fan
> is making noises that suggest its days are numbered. Unfortunately this
> fan is 90mm,
> and I had to go out on the internet to get one.
>      This PS has ACPI with thermal sensing that causes the fans to "rev
> up" when the computer
> it powers is "hot on a job". Is there something I missed in the
> specification of the replacement
> fan? I'm wondering if all fans run at variable speed or do you need
> special ones  that
> "rev up" when the power demand rises.

You really need to pull at the existing fan, lookthe part number, and look at
the number of wires going in... There are basically 3 different types of
fans, with several variations of each:

1) A "standard" 2-wire static speed fan, say like 12V DC 4500RPM. It may or
may not be "speed-regulated" by the motherboard/PS by reducing the fan's
supply voltage, i.e. the PS reduces the supply to 10V so the fan runs quieter
and only turns at 3000RPM... But either way the fan is the same.

2) A "monitored" 3-wire fan. This is a fan that the motherboard/PS can monitor
the fan status on. They come in 2 basic types (though there are a number of
odd, one-off variations): RPM and rotor-lock. RPM is what it sounds like...
sends out a pulse every nth revolution to indicate it is alive. A rotor-lock
sends out a high signal constantly (or a low depending on the model) while
the fan is turning (ie. a "good" signal, not an RPM indication) and the
reverse when the fan rotor is jambed. Like #1, the speed can be adjusted by
the system lowering the voltage, but it system does it.

3) A "monitoring" 2 or 3-wire fan. This is a fan that either has a thermal
sensor built into the frame (typically, though not always 2 wire), or a third
wire that goes to a special motherboard sensor, and the fan itself
dynamically adjusts based on the input.

Many of the supposedly "super quiet thermal" fans, that you put in a drive
bay, or other aftermarket chromed neon blinky waste-o-money things are going
to be a #3. The typical newer 3-wire processor fans, that plug into the
motherboard, are #2, nearly always a RPM fan. (You typically find the #2,
rotor-locked variety in switches/packaged equipment). And most PS supplies I
have seen use the #1 type.

As to what yours is?... I would guess a simple #2 with sort sort of adjustment
built into the PS circuitry itself, though you should check the fan model
number to be sure.

Adrian