[Tfug] Debian Etch Problem

der.hans TFUG at LuftHans.com
Wed Nov 15 13:12:22 MST 2006

Am 14. Nov, 2006 schwätzte Earl so:

> I've been some time searching the net for information on this problem
> but not much time available.
>
> -- "der.hans" <TFUG at LuftHans.com> wrote:
>
>>> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:75:9C:B7:09
>>>          inet addr:169.254.123.51  Bcast:169.254.255.255
>
>> 169.254.x.x is the ad hoc network that is chosen if an address can't
>> otherwise be negotiated.
>
> I found that cruising the net. I've no idea where it came from. My
> connection worked then it didn't.

It came up because the normal connection wasn't working. The ad hoc
network is the networking of last resort.

>>> lspci shows the card and identifies it
>>> 00:12.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M
>>> [Tornado] (rev 78)
>> That card should have good support.
> It had wonderful support for a long time.

Good to know.

>> man dhclient doesn't show a page for dhclient?
> I get:
> No manual entry for dhclient.
>
>> dhclient wasn't recognized or dhclient didn't recognize the eth
> card?
> I also get:
> dhclient: command not found

OK, looks like you don't have dhclient installed. I think that's what
debian defaults to. Maybe your install still uses pump. Maybe dhclient got
unistalled somehow.

See if you have any other dhcp clients installed and try them.

man -k dhcp

If not, I suggest installing dhclient.

>> netstat -rn?
> I got this:
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination  Gateway  Genmask  Flags MSS Window  irrt Iface
>
>> You probably need to add the gateway to get beyond your switch.
> I have been searching for information on IP tables and such on the
> internet. Not quite sure exactly how to do it yet but it is
> interesting.

Adding a gateway isn't IP tables. I'm certain you could make it happen via
IP tables, but that'd be annoying :).

>> You do have a working DHCP server on your network?
> Yes, it works for the computer with the crashed Debian install if I
> run Kubuntu (so the hardware works), a Tatung/SPARC clone running
> Debian Sarge, and a WinXP machine. When things were running both the
> Debian and Kubuntu showed the same IP address which makes sense
> because they have the same MAC address.

Cool. Good debug info to have.

> I think it involves the last kernel headers I pulled down. I have no
> idea what and apparently no one else has this problem. The internet
> connection worked before the security update (obviously) and not
> after.

Kernel headers shouldn't affect anything if you're not compiling stuff.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators  https://LOPSA.org/
#  "We should not be building surveillance technology into standards.
#  Law enforcement was not supposed to be easy.
#  Where it is easy, it's called a police state."  -- Jeff Schiller