[Tfug] Debian Etch Problem

erich erich1 at copper.net
Thu Nov 9 13:06:03 MST 2006

Well,
       Distros are becomming so complicated and expansive that
blithly installing from a live CD often gives one more that they
bargained for. I bought a machine about 3 years ago with
Mandrake (now Mandriva) preinstalled. They gave me the works.
It had many office applications under KDE, and it had numerous
services listening on the internet. With a special security feature
that would put a cloak of protection on the root if there was a security
breach.
       Well, such an event occured, and the OS cloaked itself to the
extent that I couldn't even log on to a vertual console.  The KDE
started behaving strangly, and I had to contend with all kinds
of work arounds. Mandrake offered online service that promised
a fix, for a fee, of course.
       I blew away Mandrake and installed Gentoo for free. So the
moral of the story is this: Think of a Linux Distro as champion
race horse. Sometimes accidents happen and the horse brakes
a leg. What do you do? You shoot it.