[Tfug] Debian Etch Problem

der.hans TFUG at LuftHans.com
Wed Nov 8 12:43:57 MST 2006

Am 07. Nov, 2006 schwätzte Earl so:

> -- "der.hans" <TFUG at LuftHans.com> wrote:
>
>> To what extent did it lose its network connnection?
> When I try to ping my router it tells me there is no connection.
>
>> Wired or wireless?
> Wired
>
>> Does the eth device no longer exist?
>> "ifconfig -a" to check.
>
> I ran that right away. This is what I got for eth0
>
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:75:9C:B7:09
>          inet addr:169.254.123.51  Bcast:169.254.255.255

169.254.x.x is the ad hoc network that is chosen if an address can't
otherwise be negotiated.

> Mask:255.255.0.0
>          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>          Interrupt:153 Base address:0x4f80
>
>> Is the card not seen at all?
>> "lspci" or "lshw" to see what hardware the system can detect.
>
> lspci shows the card and identifies it
> 00:12.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M
> [Tornado] (rev 78)

That card should have good support.

> Does the eth device exist, but dhcp doesn't get an address?
>
>> Kill dhclient instances for the device, then run dhclient for the
> device,
>> e.g. "dhclient eth0" for the first ethernet device.
> I ran ps aux as root but couldn't find dhclient as a process. Man
> dhclient didn't show it. Ran dhclient but it didn't recognize it.

man dhclient doesn't show a page for dhclient?

dhclient wasn't recognized or dhclient didn't recognize the eth card?

> I ran ifconfig eth0 192.968.0.8 and then could ping the router.
>
> I ran base-config and that wasn't recognized either.
>
> Rebooted into Debian and ran ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.8 and got on the
> network again. Still can't get to internet but that is progress.

netstat -rn?

You probably need to add the gateway to get beyond your switch.

You do have a working DHCP server on your network?

ciao,

der.hans
#  Sysdamin Days Phoenix, 6-7 Nov, now with edu discount  https://LOPSA.org/
#  "It is appallingly obvious that our technology exceeds our humanity."
#   -- Einstein