[Tfug] WRT54G Configuration

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 23:24:05 MST 2006

Hi,

> > Does the "Internet" connection need a crossover
> > cable?  Does the router ignore pings/ICMP on
> > that port?
>
> Are the link LEDs lit?  Can you ping the WAN host
> from your router or
> something on the LAN side of the router?

Link lights illuminate as expected.

I think I have deduced that the "Internet" port
must be ignoring ICMP messages.

I flush the routing tables (route -f) on the
SS5 (attached to that port) and then examine them
(route show) to verify there is NO entry for
10.4.0.111 (the IP assigned to the "Internet"
port on the router).  Next, I ping 10.4.0.111
and get no reply.  Finally, I examine the
arp cache and notice that there is now a MAC
address recorded for that IP -- so, obviously
there is connectivity; the router is just chosing
not to respond to the pings (which is *a*
possible way of implementing it -- I'd have prefered
that to be configurable) from that side.

Note that I can ping 10.4.0.111 from the other
side of the router with no problem!  Sure would be
nice if they would augment their flimsy description
of the product with a block diagram so you could
see how it was functionally structured!  Talking
to their tech support is worse than talking to
a saguaro (can you spell "outsourced").  I
suppose I could DL the sources and fumble through
them but doubt it is worth my time...  :-(

I appear to have bricked it so I will have to
nurse it back to health before trying again.