[Tfug] Opening up HTTP Server behind OBSD firewall

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Fri May 26 10:21:23 MST 2006

> On a related topic, I have a server behind my dsl connection.  I have a
> dsl router that uses NAT.  I had to open port 80 to internal ip address
> 192.168.254.10 to be able to access my web server from outside.
>
> Now I want to add a second web server on ip 192.168.254.8 to handle a
> special project.
>
> Since my router only allows me to send http requests to one internal ip
> address, how do I route external http reqests to the second server?
>
> Both boxes are running Debian Sarge.
>
> George Cohn

This is one idea: you could forward a different port to the second
server, ( i.e. http://your.url:8000 ).  You could require your clients
to specify the non-standard port in the URL, or you could use url
redirection from the first server ( with something like apache
mod_alias ) so that when the client tries to connect to
http://your.url, they get redirected to http://your.url:8000

--
Rob