[Tfug] The Semiannual Colocation question

Casey Townsend Casey.Townsend at tucsonaz.gov
Thu May 25 12:46:50 MST 2006

Adrian wrote:
> In general, you have much more control over a machine that you
> collocate. This means you can pick the OS brand and version you are
> most comfortable with, the software versions you want to use, change
> configurations at will, etc. In a dedicated machine you may or may
not
> have root access, the ability to change configurations, or even do
> updates. All the provider is guaranteeing is that they won;t host
> someone elses website off the same box as you...

The dedicated machines I've used (several machines over several
different providers) have all been full root access and a variety of
available OS choices.  If they don't have the OS of your choice, you
can
usually get another OS if you can provide it to the provider.

> If your only interest is hosting a website, then a dedicated, or even
> shared, machine makes far more sense. For more advanced things, like

> providing your own mail server, a place to tunnel SSH to and fro,
> creating/manipulating multiple databases, hosting custom
applications, or
> deploying any of the above at will, a collocated machine is usually
> necessary.

I can do all of those on my dedicated machine.  Only difference from
my
old colo'd box is that it has way more bandwidth and newer hardware.
also don't have physical access to it, but if I'm not maintaining the
hardware, I typically don't need physical access to it.

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options:

Another possibility is to use a virtual server hosting or Virtual
Dedicated Server hosting (a la VMware, etc).

quick google:

"Looking for a dedicated server without the dedicated server price? Are
you tired of the limitations of your shell account? Are you looking for
a place to experiment with or try your hand at linux system
administration?

A LVS is an account that in all respects performs like a dedicated
server but at the fraction of the price. You get root access and all the
control and customization that comes with it. You can run whatever you'd
like. (See our usage policy for more details).

A LVS can be used for so many things. Set up a mail and web hosting
server for your business or all your friends. You can put as many email
addresses and websites as your account can handle. Use it as a test bed
for development versions of your software. If worse comes to worst, you
can always restart your LVS. Utilize it as a remote backup server for
your personal data. All customer file systems are on fault-tolerant,
RAID sets
http://www.redwoodvirtual.com

quick google:

http://linuxvds.com