[Tfug] ip_tables kernel code no longer possible to build into the kernel?

t takahashi gambarimasu at gmail.com
Wed May 24 02:08:06 MST 2006

On 5/24/06, John Gruenenfelder <johng at as.arizona.edu> wrote:
> Linux used to have ipchains, then came iptables, now it's netfilter.  Each
> time it became a more general system.

aha!

so the reason the defaults were no is that my old .config was
referring to iptables, not netfilter?  and therefore did not get
inherited?

yikes.  well, i did get a lot of warnings about symbols.  maybe the
config system simply didn't know that a netfilter module was the same
as an old iptables module.

and may i say again, yikes.  :-)

this is all, like, "the at11133 decombloxinator, which you
might or might not have or need, but i am not going to tell you how to
find out, requires a
nono18920 module, which itself requires that you say yes to 15 other
modules, which
i won't tell you about either, and oh by the way, THE DEFAULT FOR THIS
OPTION IS SET RANDOMLY.  if you are not sure whether you have this
model of decombloxinator, then it is safe to say Y here unless you
have the wrong chipset or we change our minds.  and if we change our
minds, your next configuration session might or might not inherit the
default."

> In general, most of the default suggestions you get in the kernel are not
> based on reality.  Linus has said in the past that there aren't really any
> "default" settings for the kernel.  Of course, this does make configuring

i'll keep that in mind.  i assumed they would make an effort for a
typical desktop.

> you really need.  Since you're somewhat new at this, I think you're taking
> the
> right approach by using the Debian kernel .config as a starting point.

no, i am taking my old .config as a starting point.  it was generated
from a custom kernel.org kernel that works for 2.6.11, not from
debian.

so where is the debian .config found?  stock debian kernels do not work for me.

for defaults i wish menuconfig would say what the debian defaults are
and what your .config says instead of merely what your .config says.

debian linux-source did not come with a .config.

> The simplest method to deal with this, and what I do, is to just make
> everything in the netfilter menu a module.  You are correct that you will
> then
> need to figure out which of those to load, but it really isn't all that many
> in general.  And when you pick a few, modprobe will automatically load the
> others it depends on.

good to know.  but why not build in the top level module?

thanks.

robert wrote:
> I don't know... because it builds character? ;-)

the truth comes out.  :-)

--
Webmaster: do you believe that people will (a) switch browsers to view
your "best viewed with" page or (b) go to your competitor?