[Tfug] iptables no longer built into kernel? make oldconfig on lsd?

Paul Scott waterhorse at ultrasw.com
Tue May 23 16:52:15 MST 2006

t takahashi wrote:
> no, where i got the old config from isn't the problem.  it's identical
> whether i get it from /proc, /boot, or /usr/src.
>
> On 5/23/06, Michael Schultheiss <schultmc at cinlug.org> wrote:
>
>> Why do you need to recompile your kernel?

Does this help explain why iptables itself isn't in the kernel (and
never was)?

    What is *iptables*?

*iptables* is the userspace command line program used to configure the
Linux 2.4.x and 2.6.x IPv4 packet filtering ruleset. It is targeted
towards system administrators.

http://www.netfilter.org/projects/iptables/index.html

The config file for my stock 2.6.16 kernel is configured for all of the
iptables modules that I am aware of.  /sbin/iptables and all of the
shared libraries necessary are on my system.

Sorry if I'm missing your point and answering the wrong question.

Paul Scott