[Tfug] The Semiannual Colocation question

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Thu May 18 09:36:16 MST 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 05:56, Michael Schultheiss wrote:
> Brian Murphy wrote:
> > I should have mentioned in Tucson.
>
> What benefit do you see of colocating your own machine versus leasing a
> dedicated machine from a provider?  I've found the latter method to be
> much more economical.

In general, you have much more control over a machine that you collocate. This
means you can pick the OS brand and version you are most comfortable with,
the software versions you want to use, change configurations at will, etc. In
a dedicated machine you may or may not have root access, the ability to
change configurations, or even do updates. All the provider is guaranteeing
is that they won;t host someone elses website off the same box as you...

If your only interest is hosting a website, then a dedicated, or even a
shared, machine makes far more sense. For more advanced things, like
providing your own mail server, a place to tunnel SSH to and fro,
creating/manipulating multiple databases, hosting custom applications, or
deploying any of the above at will, a collocated machine is usually
necessary.

Adrian