[Tfug] CUPS not correctly printing the test page

Bill M. beelymagee at cox.net
Sun May 14 23:32:29 MST 2006

Steve and Angus,

> Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 22:17:24 -0700
> From: Steven Bowers <steveb7 at bblabs.net>
> Subject: [Tfug] CUPS not correctly printing the test page
> To: tfug at tfug.org
> I recently installed CUPS 1.1.23 on OpenBSD 3.9. I've configured my
> LJ4/Plus, its DirectJet card and can print the test page all from the
> CUPS web interface.
>
> However, the test page does not print correctly. My test page prints this:
>
> %!PS-ADOBE-3.0
>                %%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792
>                                          %%Pages: 1
>                                                    %%LanguageLevel: 1
>
> I suspect it has something to do with either the PPD file or support
> from another app. I've tried the "laserjet.ppd" file that was included
> in the package along with "HP-LaserJet_4_Plus-hpijs.ppd",
> "HP_LaserJet_4_plus.ppd" and "HP_LaserJer_4_Plus_ljet4.ppd". All four
> produced the same result.

I would think, like Angus, that you are trying to send Postscript and
there is no PS interpreter in the LJ4, only PCL. But, CUPS should be
able to handle the Postscript from the application as long as
GhostScript is installed. See if GS is around and if it is, then use the
CUPS/Ghostscript driver version when you add the printer.

-*-Bill