[Tfug] iPod Replacement

Shawn Nock nock at email.arizona.edu
Mon May 1 14:43:21 MST 2006

Christopher Robbins wrote:
> My new video iPod that I've owned for all of 5 months has died.  I should
> have known that a broken LCD was a bad sign from the get-go, but now it's
> dead....
>
> I'll need some sort of replacement.  Any ideas?
>
> Needs -
>
> * Durability - the iPod was okay in this respect, but anything a little more
> robust would be nice...I ride my bike around town and I excercise with it,
> so it'll be important to make sure that it's something that isn't flimsy
>
> * Linux support? - Preferably so - I know most USB devices are easily
> detected in SUSE and the rest, but I'd like to be sure
>
> * OGG is not necessary but a plus :)

iRiver H320 = Amazing
    Runs 'RockBox' (FOSS Firmware) and supports OGG, FLAC, mp3, XVID
video...
    It is a mass storage device (copy files to 'external hard-drive';
disconnect and play)
    Battery life is comparable to newer ipod (After-market battery
upgrades available)
    Quite durable... multiple cases availible

On the other hand: iRiver no longer manufactures these, you'll need to
look around if you want to find one. The iRiver H10 seems like a likely
in-production substitute, but RockBox does not yet run on it... so no
OGG/FLAC/Mass Storage Mode... But they are working on the port as we speak.

Good luck
Shawn

--
Shawn Nock (OpenPGP: 0xEF9B08E7)
Broadcast Engineer; KUAT Communications Group