[Tfug] need a DNS guru to review my zone files--please

Neil Short neshort at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 30 12:34:39 MST 2006

I have a computer NOT connected to the Internet -
providing open wireless leases.

My hope is that simple names (or even ANY names) will
resolve to the ip of the server (to provide apache
pages to the wireless clients).

the name of the server is amos.prophet
and so far that's the only name that will resolve. It
would be nice to have the following names also resolve
to the same IP:
amos
home

below are my configuration files:

named.conf:
//  /etc/namedb/named.conf

options {
        directory       "/etc/namedb";
        pid-file        "/var/run/named/pid";
        dump-file       "/var/dump/named_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/stats/named.stats";

        query-source address * port 53;
};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.root";
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "master/localhost.rev";
};

zone "prophet" {
        type master;
        file "amos";
        };

zone "5.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "amos-reverse";
        };

====

amos:
$TTL 86400

prophet. IN SOA amos.prophet. root.amos.prophet. (
                        20060619        ; Serial
                        10800           ; Refresh
                        3600            ; Retry
                        604800          ; Expire
                        86400 )         ; Minimum TTL

       IN NS           amos.prophet.

; machine names:
localhost       IN A 127.0.0.1
amos            IN A 192.168.5.1
amos.           IN A 192.168.5.1

======

 amos-reverse
$TTL 86400

@ IN SOA amos.prophet. root.amos.prophet. (
                        20060619        ; Serial
                        10800           ; Refresh
                        3600            ; Retry
                        604800          ; Expire
                        86400 )         ; Minimum TTL

       IN NS           amos.prophet.

1       IN PTR amos.prophet.
1       IN PTR amos.

======
Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are truth, and his ways are justice; and he is able to bring low those who walk in pride.
Daniel 4:37