[Tfug] Microsoftware wars on my computer

Brian Masur bcmasur at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 16 21:12:23 MST 2006

Like Matt Jacob said:

>I'm not defending Microsoft or anything, but I wouldn't exactly say
>that they're encouraging people to upgrade to Vista quite yet. They
>make it very clear that it's beta quality software and that you're
>responsible for anything that happens to your system as a result of
>trying it out.
>
>That being said, the good news is that your fix is relatively simple.
>Just zero out the drive and you should be good to go.
>
>Matt

You can blank your MBR by booting your favorite bootable linux CD to get to
a command line and issue the command "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdX bs=512
count=1" ONLY IF YOU ARE SURE you have backed up everything you need from
that hard drive because this also wipes the partition table.  Then you won't
have to worry about the incompetence of the MS partitioning tools.

Have a better weekend.

Brian