[Tfug] laptop network configuration

Christopher Robbins robbinsc at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 16:38:52 MST 2006

John -

I too ran into this problem...I never could get it to work properly until I
upgraded to opensuse 10.1.  There's a network manager module that handles
network connections with ease.  It works really well for bouncing around
from home to work to Bentley's and back.

I don't know if there's a similar tool for Debian, but in YaST there was a
profile manager that allowed you to setup different hardware
profiles/configurations and change them from an applet in the taskbar.  It
worked well for me.

Perhaps some Googling will turn up something...Or we could always work on a
YaST port to Debian :)

-Chris

On 7/29/06, John Gruenenfelder <johng at as.arizona.edu> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've finally gotten myself a new laptop to replace my (poorly) aging Vaio.
> It's a Dell E1405.  As laptops and Linux go, it is perhaps a little *too*
> new,
> but I've managed to get all the hardware working.
>
> My question is actually laptop agnostic.  I'm using Debian and I want to
> have
> the network set up to automatically probe its surroundings.  I briefly
> tried
> laptop-net, but it didn't really seem to fit what I needed.
>
> At present, ifplugd, guessnet, and wpa_supplicant seem to be the correct
> choices.  However, I am lost as to how to implent this.  Documentation is
> scattered and not very good.  And Debian seems to have integrated
> everything
> into the ifupdown infrastructure.  This is a good idea, but the
> documentation
> is still lacking (I gather this was a recent change).
>
> So, at home I have:
>   eth0 -> DHCP
>   eth2 -> DHCP, SSID="bebop" + WEP
>
> at school it's:
>   eth0 -> DHCP
>   eth2 -> DHCP, SSID="UMASS" (or any other publicly available AP)
>
> This seems to me to be a rather simple setup.  Anybody else have their
> laptop's network config automated?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> --John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
>                         Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
> Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://gutenpalm.sf.net
> "This is the most fun I've had without being drenched in the blood
> of my enemies!"
>         --Sam of Sam & Max

Chris Robbins
Dept. of English Technical Support