[Tfug] laptop network configuration

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Sat Jul 29 16:07:19 MST 2006

Hey all,

I've finally gotten myself a new laptop to replace my (poorly) aging Vaio.
It's a Dell E1405.  As laptops and Linux go, it is perhaps a little *too* new,
but I've managed to get all the hardware working.

My question is actually laptop agnostic.  I'm using Debian and I want to have
the network set up to automatically probe its surroundings.  I briefly tried
laptop-net, but it didn't really seem to fit what I needed.

At present, ifplugd, guessnet, and wpa_supplicant seem to be the correct
choices.  However, I am lost as to how to implent this.  Documentation is
scattered and not very good.  And Debian seems to have integrated everything
into the ifupdown infrastructure.  This is a good idea, but the documentation
is still lacking (I gather this was a recent change).

So, at home I have:
  eth0 -> DHCP
  eth2 -> DHCP, SSID="bebop" + WEP

at school it's:
  eth0 -> DHCP
  eth2 -> DHCP, SSID="UMASS" (or any other publicly available AP)

This seems to me to be a rather simple setup.  Anybody else have their
laptop's network config automated?

Thanks in advance.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.