[Tfug] Causing a remote linux box to make a sound on a local windows box

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 10:08:24 MST 2006

On 7/25/06, JD Rogers <jdrogers at email.arizona.edu> wrote:
> I'm not sure I quite understand.. do you want to make the local linux
> box beep when a remote windows box tells it to, or the other way
> around?

Other way around - the windows box should beep.  Actually, I'd like a
sound file - like Homer Simpson saying "Doh!" or something...

> One other thought is to just use a IM client of some kind.

That is a really good idea.  I think CruiseControl has Jabber support
built in.  I wonder how hard it would be to find a Jabber client on
windows that makes sound based on some event (like "doh!" being
contained in the message text?).

My other idea (after I sent the email) was to modify the CruiseControl
monitor webpage to play a sound via javascript at a specified interval
(it automatically refreshes itself).

Sorry if this got off-topic, I guess the best solution might not
involve actually triggering the sound from the linux OS as I
originally thought.

Thanks!
-- Chad