[Tfug] Causing a remote linux box to make a sound on a local windows box

JD Rogers jdrogers at email.arizona.edu
Tue Jul 25 07:49:40 MST 2006

I'm not sure I quite understand.. do you want to make the local linux
box beep when a remote windows box tells it to, or the other way
around?

I'm inclined to agree that cygwin would be helpful, if only because
then its pretty much like doing things between two linux boxen. Long
ago, I used to login into a friends box and try to get his attention
by making his system beep. I did this by using the 'bell' which can be
triggered by sending the shell a '^G' (that's control-g). I had a text
file that contained ^G and I would cat it, but you could probably just
run it with bash via 'bash control-g-file'. You would need pcspeaker
support in the kernel and I think you have to make sure the inputrc
file does not set bell to none. Of course, this is all useless if you
are trying to go the other way to a windows machine.

One other thought is to just use a IM client of some kind. I would
guess you could use such a client across platforms and have a script
somehow message the other machine.
Cheers,
JDR