[Tfug] Fraudulent airport WiFi

Christopher Robbins robbinsc at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 13:01:24 MST 2006

It is a possibility, but who's to say they'll know what they've gotten into
once they've gotten in ;)

More on-topic, yes...But wouldn't most wifi exploits such as this be
designed to do -

1.) Hack wifi card
2.) Wreck windows registry/Install malware/Steal data
3.) ???
4.) Profit!

It would be sort of pointless to hit a linux machine...Why do that (assuming
of the malicious bent) when you can ruin numerous Windows machines?  For
example, I can do a scan for wireless networks in my apartment complex and
find AT LEAST 7 open access points with ssid-linksys and encryption turned
off.  You could ring up a whole lot of machines that way...

-Chris

On 7/8/06, Bill M. <beelymagee at cox.net> wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> > Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 13:01:12 -0700
> > From: "Angus Scott-Fleming" <angussf at geoapps.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Tfug] Fraudulent airport WiFi
> > To: Tucson Free Unix Group <tfug at tfug.org>
> >
> > On 3 Jul 2006 at 13:22, Adrian  wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> > Have you seen this?
> >
> > ------- Included Stuff Follows -------
> > Researchers hack Wi-Fi driver to breach laptop
> >     One of many flaws found allowed them to take over a laptop by
> exploiting a
> >     bug in an 802.11 wireless driver
> >  By Robert McMillan, IDG News Service
> >  June 21, 2006
> >

> http://ww6.infoworld.com/products/print_friendly.jsp?link=/article/06/06/21/795
> > 36_HNwifibreach_1.html
> >

> I wonder if this hack applies to using NDISWrapper used to load an
> internal Broadcom wireless 802.11g card in a laptop (running SuSE 10.0)?
> The NDISWrapper is using the Windows driver, right? Does that make a
> Linux box vulnerable to the kind of hacks described in the above
> article? Hmmmm...
>
> -*-Bill

Chris Robbins
Dept. of English Technical Support