[Tfug] IBM 5100 v. Holographic Computers

sitkaa at email.arizona.edu sitkaa at email.arizona.edu
Thu Jul 6 14:47:32 MST 2006

Good point. Please, correct me if I am wrong. My understanding of holographic
computing/memory storage is that the OS self evolves (holographically?), in a
way that we cannot really follow, as the computer does its functions.

Should this become the ubiquitous computing platform running our
society, the 32
bit problem will definately become moot. However, to play devil's advocate
again, we have had the promise of optical computers for a few years already.
One of the problems, aside from switching, is that no one really knows how to
program them very well.

I sincerely doubt we will have flying cars in 25 years. Among the flying car
projects, the Moller flying car (which doesn't work very well) has been among
us for almost this amount of time. (http://www.moller.com/skycar) Here we are
just now developing a rudimentary transportation system that could handle the
traffic control personal flying craft neccessitate. (http://sats.nasa.gov/).
Two and one-half decades is not that long to restructure a large social system
upon which everyone depends daily.

The original question stands. Is the IBM 5100 architecture worth integrating
into modern computers, or is it simply a relic worthy of derision due to its
unfortunate association with a time traveler before its time? I am curious to
read your responses.

This is relevant to me, in particular, because I am standing at the
beginning of
a large potential project that proposes to migrate many public planning
functions into the *nix world. How can I seriously propose this if the
IT world
doesn't take the time stamp problem seriously?

It will take time and effort to fix this time stamp problem. It doesn't simply
dissappear.