[Tfug] Technical harassment, or "Computer knowledge is more important than anything else in the world."

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Tue Feb 28 12:33:11 MST 2006

I hate to prolong this thread any more but a correction is needed...

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 10:38, Christopher Robbins wrote:
> If someone had malicously subscribed him to the list, then he
> should be able to track this person down and ask THEM to take him off of the
> list.  There are times where we can blame the system, but ultimately (at
> least in this case), the blame lies solely in the user.

It should be noted that a malicious user CAN NOT "subscribe" you to the list,
unless that user has compromised your account (in which case it is really
their account now). Subscription to the TFUG list requires that you confirm
registration via a link in the email sent to the requesting account,
otherwise you will not be added to the list.

I would have to agree with Glenn's statement.. if this person infact did not
subscribe themelves, it is most likely an email address formerly belonging to
someone else. (As a side note... the list software SHOULD be monitoring
bounces and automatically takes you off the list if your account always
bounces, so the account would have had to have been transferred to another
person in short order).

> He now found out (at least from last night's discussion) how to unsubscribe
> himself.  Yet here he still stands!  We've given him the roadmap, now all he
> has to do is follow the simple instructions.  Perhaps he's forgotten his
> password?

You do not even need your password to unsubscribe... All you have to do is
follow the link at the bottom of every email, enter your address, and then
click "unsubscribe" on the subsequent options page. An unsubscribe
confirmation email, simillar to the subscription email, is then sent to the
account. The password (which you can have mailed to you on the very same
options page) is only required for changing list options (i.e. individual
messages or digests, filtering, etc.).

As a point of discussion, Jon, perhaps the TFUG list footer should be changed
from:

To something like: