[Tfug] REMOVE FROM LIST

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 10:41:09 MST 2006

--- George Cohn <gwcohn at simplybits.net> wrote:

> Bexley Hall wrote:
> >
> > Agreed.  Put a filter on the list to reject
messages
> > with "unsubscribe" in the sbject/body.  When a
> person
> > keeps getting mail from the list and his/her
> > unsubscribe pleas are unanswered, he/she will
> > *eventually* get motivated to solve his/her own
> > problem!
>
> I manage a couple of large lists for a international
> car club.  We put
> the unsubscribe link at the bottom of *every*
> message and still get those requests.  ;-(

But the readership of a "car club" list is *probably*
different than a "FUG" list -- one would assume
*some* level of computer savvy with the latter.

> We also send "Administrivia" to the list owner so
> everyone doesn't see the messages.

I process "unsubscribe" in the subject line as
an explicit request to unsubscribe the reader.
It keeps the requests off the list (so others
aren't bothered with them) and handles the
*assumed* wish of the poster.

But, in my case, the lists aren't "casual" in
their readership (e.g., product support) so
people join or leave for very definite reasons
and at very definite times (vs. just casually
"dropping in" on a list to see what it contains)

> The problem with just ignoring them is some brain
> dead ISPs (and users)
> will then use their mail client to mark the message
> as unwanted spam.
> Some ISP's like AOL will then block the domain
> sending the messages so
> no one that uses that ISP will get any messages.

Good point.  I'll have to keep that in mind if
I get complaints of folks unable to receive msgs!