[Tfug] Mind taking a poll?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 12:04:42 MST 2006

--- Jim Secan <jim at nwra.com> wrote:

> At 09:35 PM 2/25/2006 -0700, you wrote:
> >More to the point though - I think intermediate
> would be someone who can
> >install and use Linux, install new packages, etc.
> >
> >Advanced would be someone who can do all the above
> >but when they run in to
> >a problem be able to solve it without intervention.

Advanced would be someone who can solve it WITHOUT
GOOGLE!  :>

> >This could of course
> >be more finely tuned and decribed a little more in
> depth but you get the
> >point.
>
> As with all categorizations, fitting real people
> into "intermediate" and
> "advanced" for something as complicated and broad as
> this poll is
> imperfect.  As I said in my post, on some things I
> think I'm on the low
> side of advanced (I've been living with *nix systems
> for over 15 years) and
> on others (such as modifying the kernel to add a new
> capability) I'm very much the newbie.
>
> If this poll were split into a matrix rather than a
> vector it would make
> more sense - even a simple split into "user" and
> "administrator" with the
> four capabilities levels would perhaps be more
> useful.  I'd probably put
> myself in advanced as a user and
> beginner/intermediate as administrator.  I
> tend to focus on learning what I need in order to
> use the system to do my
> "real" job, and learn as little as I can get away
> with to administer it.  A
> *nix hobbiest might be the other way 'round.

Exactly.  I'd add "Developer" since most admins
just apply other people's patches (and rarely
have submitted code patches of their own -- whether
it is to the kernel or to userland tools)

Though for a population as small as TFUG, getting
this fine grained with a survey probably yields
very little "signal" in a sh*tload of "noise"...