[Tfug] kernel issues 2.6.15

Robert Hunter bobjim.hunter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 08:07:15 MST 2006

On 2/24/06, ken <kfancher at nerdshack.com> wrote:
> im trying to run 2.6.15 have grub setup to boot it with root=/dev/hda3
> and ext3 is built into the kernel this is what i get when i try to load
> it vfs cannont open root device "hda3" or unknown-block (0,0) please
> append a correct root= boot option kernel panic - not syncing :VFS :
> unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> this is my menu.lst config for that particular kernel
> title           Debian 2.6.15
> root            (hd0,2)
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15 root=/dev/hda3 ro
> its debian sarge i have 1 partition for / and that covers everything
> anyone have any ideas of why its asking for a correct root=option to me
> it seems ive covered all the bases

How exactly is your disk partitioned? What do you mean that you have
one partition that covers everything?  If you have only one partition
on the disk then root might need to point to /dev/hda1.  Also, what
type of device is the disk?  For example, SATA disks show as /dev/sd*,
so this is another possibility.

--
Rob