[Tfug] Battery replacement

johngalt johngalt1 at uswest.net
Thu Feb 23 19:35:28 MST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "keith smith" <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 4:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] Battery replacement

> the CR2032 can be found at Radio Shack
>

> --- Gordon Zaft <gordonzaft at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > You can usually get these at Target, and elsewhere
> > --
> > probably a CR2032.  While you may not HAVE to power
> > the machine down to do so, I certainly would.
> >

> > --- erich <erich1 at copper.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I have an old Dell pentium 120 machine that's
> > losing
> > > time. In other
> > > words, the battery that holds the CMOS memory
> > trace
> > > is weakening
> > > to the point that the hardware clock slips counts
> > > when the machine
> > > is powered off.
> > >
> > > Can these things be replaced? If so, can the
> > > motherboard remain
> > > powered up while you're replacing the battery?

OK I'll bite... HW clock flakes out when the machine is powered off.....but can it remain powered up while replacing the battery?

Why would you want to do this? How important is this course of action? At the very least you will be flopping the box around and
putting it upside down to get at the battery - while running. Not a problem necessarily, but why?

What is the exact model number or service tag number?

The box is turned off at times, so why not replace the battery then?