[Tfug] Providers

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Tue Feb 21 19:37:17 MST 2006

On 21 Feb 2006 at 15:08, Bexley Hall wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've finally grown too tired of my current ISP's
> crappy service and, so, need to start shopping for
> a suitable replacement.
>
> We don't watch TV so cox is out of the question.
> I am content with dialup since I do mostly text
> based browsing, email and some downloads (that I
> am willing to let run all night, if need be).

If you dedicate a phone line to dialup ($20?) + pay for a dialup
account ($15-$20) you're paying $35-$40/month.  That approaches the
cost of DSL or cable-internet.

What are major intersections near your home?  Do you qualify for DSL
at home?  I think Qwest is running a $30/month for the first 12
months special on DSL.  You can check your phone number or address
online here: http://www.qwest.com/dsl/ ... Here's the current
special:

  Residential: Order online and get up to 5Mbps high-speed
  Internet with MSN Premium for $21.99 - $26.99 a month for
  a year (new Qwest DSL customers with qualifying phone
  package). Plus, free activation - a $99 value. Limited
  time offer.

> What I *don't* want are fake "unlimited usage" (but
> we'll drop your connection after 4 hours -- regardless
> of whether you are idle or in the midst of an FTP
> transfer).
>
> Ideally, I'd like to NOT have to sit behind someone
> else's firewall restricting my outgoing connections
> (e.g., when the ISP's mail server is down, I would
> like to be able to access SMTP on other hosts to
> which I have access).

Good luck finding a host that will do that.

> I would prefer to pay by check since it keeps my
> CC information somewhat more secure. Given how
> "well" my current ISP runs their business, I would
> be wary of trusting them with anything like that!
> ("Ooops!  Someone hacked our network and we weren't
> smart enough to keep this information on a separate,
> UNROUTED network.  Sorry!  :<  ").  But, I suspect
> that is a tough requirement to satisfy.

You might be able to do automatic withdrawals but I doubt if you'll
find a check-accepting ISP.  You might be able to pay for a year up
front by check.  I think you can pay for your Qwest DSL with your
phone bill - by check.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona