[Tfug] Providers

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Tue Feb 21 17:18:49 MST 2006

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 15:08 -0800, Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've finally grown too tired of my current ISP's
> crappy service and, so, need to start shopping for
> a suitable replacement.
>
> We don't watch TV so cox is out of the question.
> I am content with dialup since I do mostly text
> based browsing, email and some downloads (that I
> am willing to let run all night, if need be).
>
> What I *don't* want are fake "unlimited usage" (but
> we'll drop your connection after 4 hours -- regardless
> of whether you are idle or in the midst of an FTP
> transfer).

Most of the larger dial up pools are doing this by default.

> Ideally, I'd like to NOT have to sit behind someone
> else's firewall restricting my outgoing connections
> (e.g., when the ISP's mail server is down, I would
> like to be able to access SMTP on other hosts to
> which I have access).
>
> I would prefer to pay by check since it keeps my
> CC information somewhat more secure. Given how
> "well" my current ISP runs their business, I would
> be wary of trusting them with anything like that!
> ("Ooops!  Someone hacked our network and we weren't
> smart enough to keep this information on a separate,
> UNROUTED network.  Sorry!  :<  ").  But, I suspect
> that is a tough requirement to satisfy.

CC really should not be an issue, as long as you prepay a year worth at
a time.

> I would have prefered to keep my business "local"
> (though, admittedly, I have been refering my clients
> to other providers -- mainly due to my lack of faith
> in my current ISP  :< ) but that, as well, is not
> non-negotiable.

Who is your local ISP.  If you were using them when sending this, they
don't run their own dial up pool.

host 4.240.114.133
133.114.240.4.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
dialup-4.240.114.133.Dial1.Phoenix1.Level3.net.

It's a Level3 Dialup, used by AOL, Earthlink, and others.

I would suggest looking at Dakotacom.net, but I have not used Dialup in
so long I can't really give a good recommendation.

I know that when I was on dialup, I ran into modem abuse issues rather
often.

			Harry