[Tfug] Debian install from a local fileserver

Richard Rohrdanz rrohrdanz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 09:16:26 MST 2006

Scott,

At this point I am starting to feel like the perpetual "nay sayer".
Thanks for the link to the man pages online but... When I type in some
commands that I have seen in the paper manuals like "attribute",
"apt", "apt-get", "lxprint", "xhost" & "dpkg" those commands are not
found. What I would REALLY like is to be able to key in a phrase like
"IP address" in order to find commands that work with or display the
IP address. Or key in "permissions" to find the commands that relate
to file permissions.

Basically, the problem I have with all of the documentation in Linux
is that you already have to know how to use Linux before you can learn
how to use it. My son-in-law is a senior systems administrator in
Linux for a multi-billion dollar company with over 400 terrabytes of
online storage. I have tried to enlist his help and it seems like he
can only help people with obscure problems in Linux. Telling me how to
install from a local fileserver is apparently too simple and my level
of knowledge is too low at this point.

I am enrolled in an introductory course in Linux at Pima in March but
I was hoping to get a head start on it.

Thanks.

--
Richard C. Rohrdanz