[Tfug] Linux? Debian? Kubuntu?

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Fri Feb 3 14:12:46 MST 2006

Richard Rohrdanz wrote:
> I have already signed up for the 137 class which starts in March and
> runs to May. It is strictly online so no classroom sessions.
>
> What do you use for a reference manual when you want to look up what
> command does what?

As I mentioned, Debian GNU/Linux 3.1, ISBN 0-7645-7644-5 is a pretty
decent reference.  Lots of howtos.  From http://www.wiley.com or your
favorite bookstore for $40.

The optional textbook for Louis' CIS 137 class is Unix the Textbook,
ISBN 0-321-22731-X, pretty pricey but available used.

Learn to read the man pages.  Dry reading and often terse so something
like the first book is a pretty good introduction.

Lots of on-line resources.  Just Google whatever it is you need answers
on.  I find a lot of the on-line howtos useful but read several as they
show different approaches to accomplishing a task.

Again, I can't stress how much easier it is to learn in a classroom
setting where you can ask the instructors questions and bounce ideas off
of other students.

George Cohn