[Tfug] Linux? Debian? Kubuntu?

Richard Rohrdanz rrohrdanz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 17:11:00 MST 2006

Well, I'm impressed, both by the number of responses to my query and
the timeliness.

I still don't know which would be the best version to use for my
purposes, but I didn't expect a definitive answer since everybody has
their own preference. Even though it is a tedious process, I will
probably proceed with installing a two different versions on a test
basis. Then after I have had some experience, decide which is best for
the long run.

There is one specific problem which I have run into. I installed
Debian on one computer from the CD in the Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible.
At one point it apparently tried to get selinux (I think from the
Internet) and it was unsuccessful. The computer was on a LAN with
several other Windows 98 machines and they had no trouble getting to
the net. I suspect problems with the IP addressing. What command would
I use to examine and change the machine's IP address, gateway address
and DNS addresses if they are incorrect?

Thanks to all of you that responded.

Richard