[Tfug] Linux? Debian? Kubuntu?

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Thu Feb 2 16:31:51 MST 2006

Richard,

I am a newbie with Linux too. I am trying to use dumpster computers to r=
un Linux. Here is what I have found so far....

stem on about a dozen older (486 and Pentium class) computers that have =
been donated to a non-profit organization. The users are all OK in a GUI=
 environment but would avoid a command line like a scorpion.

I have a 486 with 16 MB of memory and am having problems getting things =
to work but I think this is because of the memory limits. I have a Penti=
um 1 with 32 MB of memory and am running Mandrake 8.1 or something like =
that with that version of KDE and it is OK. Easy install.

The problem seems to be to be limited memory more than the processor whi=
ch just means real slow. I've tried Ubuntu and Kubunto with some luck an=
d they were easy installs but haven't tried them on the pentium yet. I p=
lan to. I don't know if the Ubuntu 4.10 would work OK or not.

No problems recognizing most of the hardware. Have to use the command li=
ne but not much and just for setup and not for operation. There are some=
 books in the library that have old Red Hat versions and manuals that mi=
ght work on these machines.

I have a bunch of old distros of things that you might want to check out=
. If you do I can list them and send it to you.

Earl