[Tfug] Inexpensive 1U Server Suggestions

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Thu Feb 2 14:37:41 MST 2006

At 02:26 PM 2/2/2006 -0700, Adrian wrote:
<snip>
>layouts, but everything else (add-in cards, CPU, memory) is off the shelf
and
>easy to obtain. Likewise, replacement MBs/etc. are easy to get cheap off
Ebay
>and other online retailers, even brand new. Ordering a cheap server from
Dell
>and then bumping up the memory and adding some extra drives always seems to
>beat anything else in my book.

RE adding memory.  Has anyone run into problems putting third-party memory
in Dell systems?  We ran into a recent problem trying to add memory to a
Dell box (running FC3) and were told (by reputable people) that this can be
problematic.  We've got an order in to Dell for "official" Dell memory.
Not that much more expensive, but annoying.

Jim