[Tfug] Update on mpack, munpack

Felix Tilley fetilley at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 25 16:36:58 MST 2006

The CMU site is no longer accesible via www.  You have to use ftp.

ftp.andrew.cmu.edu

The directory is

/pub/mpack" is current directory.

The latest version is 1.6 from 2003.  I still suspect this an abandoned
program.

You may have problems compiling with gcc 4.

Do ./configure

Then make

On gcc 4, there may be errors.  If so, manually compile xmaloc.c and
unixos.c using the -c option:

gcc -c xmaloc.c        gcc -c unixos.c

to produce object files.

Then do make again.  It should compile to executables with no more errors.

Strip mpack and munpack.

As root, cp them wherever you want, usually /usr/bin.  cp the man files
where you want them, usually /usr/share/man/man1.  You might want to
compress them with gzip or bzip2.

I have not had the opportunity to use version 1.6, so I don't know if it
is buggy.  I have been using version 1.5 since circa 1994.

Do NOT do make install.

Felix in Tucson