[Tfug] Linux is NOT Windows

erich erich1 at copper.net
Thu Dec 21 22:43:20 MST 2006

   Never mentioned in this writeup is the fact that x-windows is
network-transparent.
This is the primary reason I prefer Linux to that other operating
system.  An X client
working on an X host makes the operating system irrelevant. This means
that I can
swap/mix-and-match computers with different  architectures and operating
systems,
and my LAN with its embedded workstations will still work.  The
workstatons themselves
are very conservative  old versions of Linux while the
internet-interface machines are
configured with the latest versions of
kernel/kde/Mozilla/Mozilla-Firefox. There are
old legacy DOS machines that I run from the workstations too. They have
legacy
financial software as well as MATLAB and telephone dialing software.
   Network transparency is inimical to a for-profit software company's
business
model. That's why Gates was so eager to trounce Netscape.  A web browser
does
the same thing as an x-client on an x-host in a narrow sense, and it
renders the
arcitecture/operating system irrelevant.

Erich