[Tfug] More review books from Prentice-Hall

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Thu Dec 14 14:41:26 MST 2006

I just received two new review books from Prentice-Hall: _Live Linux
CDs: Building and Customizing Bootables_ by Christopher Negus and
Practical PHP and MySQL: Building Eight Dynamic Web Applications by
Jono Bacon.  I'll plan on bringing them to give away at the coffee
hour next Thursday.  Or, if you really want one of them, drop me a
line and stop by my office which is in the Social Sciences building on
the UofA campus.

The Live Linux CDs books arrives at a fortuitous time as I was just
looking at creating or customizing a live cd last night.  I'll see if
the book is helpful and post a brief evaluation.

Speaking of which: I've been really impressed with _Linux
Administration Handbook, 2nd ed_ by Nemeth, Snyder, and Hein which
Prentice-Hall sent me a little while back.  It'll find a permanent
place on my bookshelf.  I'll point you to Jon Corbet's review at
http://lwn.net/Articles/208381/.  The only thing that I have to add is
that the table of contents and index are both very good, particularly
important for a reference book as large (just under 1000 pages) and
dense as this.

Claude