[Tfug] has anyone set up a cvs repository on a windows server?

Glen Pfeiffer glen_ap at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 10:36:49 MST 2006

--- Joe Blais wrote:

> On the server, does it need to look like a web service or does
> it just look like a windows share that you can mount as a
> folder and then access directly?

You have three options for accessing the SVN repository.

1. Direct file access
2. Built in SVN Service over http.
3. Use Apache as a front end.

I recommend using direct file access for personal repositories
only. My company is using Apache2 and Subversion on a Windows
server with no problems, however our primary reason for choosing
this setup is because when we did so, the SVN Service did not
have the advanced access rules that it now does. You would be
well served by using the SVN Service. Setting up the SVN Service
is quite simple and is covered in the book that I link to below.

> Does it handle multiple projects sharing the same file?

You use SVN externals to share files between projects.

> It looks like when you commit something, everything in the
> project gets the same version.  If so it seems like a file that
> is shared by multiple projects would be a messy thing, because
> other projects may not have had a commit at the same time

This is a common stumbling block for those coming from a CVS
background. I am not sure how to explain why it is not a problem,
but I know from experience that it does not cause problems.

The entire repository is always as the same revision. However
that does not mean that a particular file was modified during
that revision, and SVN will show you the last revision number
when a file was modified.

The aforementioned book is available here:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/index.html

Appendix A of that book is "Subversion for CVS Users":
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.forcvs.html

And for a deeper review of the new versioning scheme in
Subversion, read this section:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.basic.in-action.html#svn.basic.in-action.revs

Hope that helps!

--