[Tfug] [stein.les at gmail.com: TCS General Meeting]

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Sun Aug 27 22:06:48 MST 2006

I wouldn't call it "coping".

I *would* call it, "putting up with a GUI that is so horrifyingly slow
as to be a distraction, and a layer of uneeded, poorly-designed,
poorly-thought-out fluff that gets in the way between me and the job
that needs to be done."

Next time you see a window that takes a full second to draw, stop and
think.  How many clock cycles, how many instructions did it take to draw
that window? A billion? Two billion?  Once you begin to see things from
that perspective, you will lose all respect for Win-clone desktops like
GNOME and KDE, because it's horrifying. A Linux desktop doesn't have to
be that way.

"Coping", as you put it, is admitting to the world that your standards
are so low that you'll put up with anything, so long as it works. If
that's the case, sell your car, and ride your lawnmower to work. Hey,
why not? You're already doing the same thing with your computer.

Cheers,
Bowie