[Tfug] autoconf replacement?

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Wed Aug 23 17:49:12 MST 2006

For you programmers out there...

What, if anything, do you use as an autotools (autoconf, automake, libtool)
replacement?  I've got a decent sized program that uses all three tools which
has helped it run without too much hassle on a number of other *NIX machines
as well as OSX.

But, I find the tools to be overly complex and with poor documentation.  In
order to have it all behave properly on OSX I need to follow fairly current
versions of all the tools.  But that just leads to hassles with changing
syntax an obtuse error messages.

I can often deal with poor documentation as I tend to learn a lot by example.
But that fails horribly when the tools change syntax and the examples no
longer work as expected (or at all).

Perhaps my biggest requirement is that such tools make it easy to work with
dynamically loaded modules in my program.  The interfaces for this task vary
so much from machine to machine that libtool is almost a necessity.

What experience have you with other tools that accomplish the same task?  Are
there even others that are up to the task?

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.