[Tfug] cell phones, bluetooth and airplanes (another question)

Christopher Robbins robbinsc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 08:34:01 MST 2006

On 8/15/06, Jeremy D Rogers <jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu> wrote:

> that
> music
> is
> > >
> > > What phone is that?
>
> The new LG Chocolate:
>
> http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/mobile%20phones_select%20by%20carrier_verizon_CHOCOLATE.jhtml

> return
> > >
> > > I would guess no.  Airlines currently forbid a variety of wireless
> > > devices (RC toys, wireless computer accessories, etc.) - I'd expect
> > > Bluetooth to be included in the prohibitions as well.
>
> That's what I was guessing too.
>
> On 8/15/06, Richard Rohrdanz <rrohrdanz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I visited the FAA web site and found the following page -
> > http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=6275
>
> I had searched for bluetooth on the FAA website as well and found
> nothing specific. That link is interesting though.. sounds like we
> might get wifi eventually.

I thought we were going to get cell phone service in the sky soon?  I know
that Lufthansa has wifi aboard, as well as a few other carriers
(see this old story from 2004 -
http://www.usatoday.com/money/biztravel/2004-05-10-wifi_x.htm).  I think
that cell phone service might be a bit closer than wifi - they can charge
the cell carriers through the nose and get cash that the airlines seem to be
hemorrhaging.....

While this makes going online with my phone easier, imagine a flight full of
people on cell phones...

"Can you hear me now? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?"

o.O

-Chris

--
Chris Robbins